Testing aquarium water is an essential part of keeping fish so having a good quality aquarium water test kit will aid you to maintain a balanced, healthy quality of water in your fish tank.
Some images and products shown in this article are affiliate links, we may earn a small commission, we hope you find the information useful.
What is an Aquarium Water Test Kit?
An aquarium water test kit is a method of testing water quality in a fish tank, a test kit will test the most important parts of the water that could be dangerous for fish accurately.
These consist of four important parts:
- PH Levels
Testing these water levels regularly will ensure that an aquarium maintains safe constants for your fish keeping them safe and healthy.
Best Aquarium Water Test Kit Selection 2021 by Keeping Fish
Below we have selected our best choice aquarium water test kits for 2021 each providing an accurate reading of levels within the fish tanks water.
All water testing kits will come with their own set of instructions and should be followed carefully to get an accurate reading when testing the water in an aquarium.
API 5 in 1 Test Strips
The API 5 in 1 test strips are the most used testing method for aquariums in the UK, the testing kit comprises of a number of strips that are simply dipped into the water individually per test to give an accurate colour coded reading on the test strip. Once a reading has been obtained you simply match the strip to a chart provided to give an accurate assessment of the water.
The API Aquarium Water Test Kit is available with either 4 strips, 25 strips, or 100 strips included.
This type of test can be completed on a weekly basis with a simple dip and read method.
We Highly Recommend This Product.View on Amazon
Tetra Test 6 in 1 Water Test Kit
The Tetra aquarium water test kit will allow testing for 6 essential water parameters and gives an accurate reading within a minute, the test is done by dipping a testing strip into the water, and with a colour-coded chart simply hold the test strip up to it to see the results.
This test kit measures the 4 important parameters plus 2 others these include; pH, Carbonate, General Hardness of water, Nitrite, Nitrate, and Chlorine.
The test can be completed on a weekly basis with established fish tank water but Tetra recommends testing every two to three days on new fish tanks.
This is a top-quality accurate testing method for aquarium water.View on Amazon
The aquarium water testing kits shown above are our top recommendations for testing your fish tank water, they are easy to use and provide easy-to-understand accurate results.
Basic Water Chemistry
Water chemistry refers to the chemical properties of the water in your aquarium. The properties of the water may include pH, hardness, carbonate, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. All of these properties can vary depending on the water supply used to fill your aquarium and how it is treated before adding the water to an aquarium.
Most fish keepers use tap water to fill their aquariums. Unfortunately, tap water can contain elements that can be harmful to the fish. Removing these harmful elements is necessary to cycle the water by using a biological filtration system. Cycling the water means having your water go through a biological process called the Nitrogen Cycle. The Nitrogen Cycle establishes bacteria in your aquarium water and filtration system that is beneficial to your fish. This cycle can normally take anywhere from two weeks to two months to complete using the natural elements of a fish tank such as ghost feeding to establish natural waste. Once the cycle is complete, the harmful elements of the tap water will have been removed by the natural bacteria during the cycle process, leaving good water quality for adding fish.
During the Nitrogen Cycle, it is essential to constantly test the aquarium water for pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, general water hardness, and alkalinity.
Water testing kits for aquariums provide all the essential testing requirements to ensure that the water is always safe for pet fish, regular testing provides the fish keeper with valuable information about water quality showing the parameters of each type of test for easy monitoring.
Top 5 Bestselling Aquarium Water Test Kits
- Contains one (1) API Freshwater master kit 800, including 7 bottles of testing solutions, 1 colour card and 4 glass...
- Helps monitor water quality and prevent invisible water problems that can be harmful to fish and cause fish loss
- Accurately monitors five most vital water parameters levels in freshwater aquariums: pH, High Range PH, Ammonia, Nitrite...
- Designed for use in freshwater aquariums only
- Use for weekly monitoring and when water or fish problems appear
- AMMONIA (NH3), NITRITE (NO2), NITRATE (NO3), ACIDITY (pH), CARBONATE HARDNESS (KH), GENERAL HARDNESS (GH) - The Aquarium...
- EASY TO USE – Full instructions are included detailing correct water parameters and suggestions for correction,...
- ACCURATE – All the tests are liquid drop tests from a dropper bottle, so all the drops are the same size. This method...
- MADE IN BRITAIN – We proudly manufacture this product in the United Kingdom.
- Designed for freshwater aquariums only.
- 6 IN 1 AQUARIUM WATER TESTING: It is necessary to test water quality in the aquarium regularly and frequently. Nitrate,...
- HIGH-QUALITY TEST KIT: Each test strip is made of high-quality fiber paper and NO COLOR BLEEDING pad, keep your fish...
- SUITABLE FOR MOST AQUARIUMS:Widely suitable for saltwater/Freshwater tropical (mixed tropical fish),Goldfish ,Breeder...
- 150 STRIPS FOR FRESHWATER AQUARIUM : In a newly set up aquarium, water testing is critical to avoid fish loss as nitrite...
- WARM TIPS FOR FISH TANK TEST: Keep wet fingers away from the strips. Read under natural daylight for best results.Store...
- The AquaCare Master Test Kit for freshwater aquariums contains: 6 tests Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrite, pH, Phosphate, KH. It...
- Helps you to understand your water levels so you can control quality to avoid invisible water damage. Unstable water...
- For freshwater aquariums only. This item is double sided, and the tests are safe and will work in outdoor garden ponds....
- The master test kit includes over 200 test attempts. We advise testing weekly therefore this one kit will last you over...
- The AquaCare Master test kit is highly accurate, easy to use and reliable. Whilst strip tests or dip tests are often...
- Tetra Test 6-in-1 to check the six most important aquarium water values in one step
- Measures the pH, general and carbonate hardness (GH + KH), nitrite (NO2-), nitrate (NO3-), and chlorine (Cl2)
- Dip the test strips into the water, swirl them in the water for one or two seconds, shake off any excess water and read...
- pH - The pH value of the water indicates the acid or base concentration that is important for the health of the fish. A...
- KH - KH acts as a pH-buffer and the favourable KH values are between 3 ° and 10 °dH
Last update on 2023-10-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API